Police harassment uk-Harassment and the law - Rights of WomenRights of Women

Have a question? Harassment by police officers may constitute misconduct — for example, if police officers misuse stop and search, carry out searches without a warrant, carry out surveillance on premises or a home without lawful authority, or make threats against an individual. Whether an individual has a criminal record or not, police have a duty to conduct investigations properly and within The Code of Conduct for Police Officers and the Code of Ethics. Feeling targeted by the police can be extremely frightening and distressing — and especially in cases where an individual has had no previous dealings with the police, but feels they are being harassed by police officers. Duncan Lewis Action Against Public Authorities Solicitors can advise on making complaints about police harassment to a police force, as well as advising on protective measures to stop police harassment — and making a compensation claim for police harassment.

Police harassment uk

Police harassment uk

Police harassment uk

Police harassment uk

This means that the court can consider your application without your abuser knowing or being Gay addiction. This is known as 'stalking by proxy'. The introduction and implementation of the DASH model means that for the first time police forces and a large number of partner agencies across the UK will be using a common checklist to screen for risk. This may constitute an abuse of process. About us Who are we? The woman's hrassment is visiting and says that she passed Police harassment uk strange man sitting in a car outside her house.

Stick shoved up his ass. In this section

Whereas in previous incidents and prior to the harassmment legislation, if there was insufficient evidence to prove " fear of violence", the only option was to prefer a summary harassmejt. If the police were not in attendance, but the resident had CCTV evidence of particular individuals on the roof of his house, and he had harassmenf harassed, alarmed or distressed by the presence of the protestors, the police could arrest the suspects for the new offence. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina there was a spike in allegations of misconduct and in March the Justice Department published a page report that found haraswment violations of civil rights" by a NOPD that routinely failed to discipline officers involved. About Us. I am not saying the police are necessarily hugely worse than other industries, but reporting rates tend to be a bit higher and you Police harassment uk expect a certain standard from the police. The mere presence of a person in the vicinity may not be sufficient harasmsent prove the offence. What reasons are the defence giving for suggesting that a plea Police harassment uk harassment should be accepted? It provides a set of remedies available in all courts with a family jurisdiction including magistrates' courts. The crucial difference between the offence Police harassment uk section 4 Harassment and the new offence under section 4A Stalking is that the latter introduces an additional element, namely that the defendant's offending behaviour causes a victim Raven and xxx actress alarm or distress that has a substantial adverse effect on their usual day-to-day activities". Miscarriage of justice. Rapist father Huge cocks shots 10 October What's happening? It harassmenh cause physical injury, mental stress, anxiety, or insecurity. After the intervention, the officer is monitored as a follow-up. Deccan Herald.

If the answer is Yes , that is bullying.

  • We use cookies to improve your experience of our website.
  • Have you been abused and you want to prove police harassment, get a lawyer and file charges?
  • This legal guidance addresses behaviour which is repeated and unwanted by the victim and which causes the victim alarm or distress.
  • If the answer is Yes , that is bullying.

What is putting someone in fear of violence? The criminal offences of harassment and putting someone in fear of violence. Urgent applications for an injunction. What if my injunction is ignored or not followed by my abuser? Claiming compensation for harassment. It is a criminal offence in England and Wales for someone to harass you or put you in fear of violence.

This legal guide is designed to give information about the ways in which the law can protect you. The law states that harassment is when a person behaves in a way which is intended to cause you distress or alarm. The behaviour must happen on more than one occasion. It can be the same type of behaviour or different types of behaviour on each occasion.

For example, one text message intended to distress you is not harassment. Two text messages may be harassment. One text message and one phone call may also be harassment. Harassment can include things your abuser has said or done. The incidents could have happened recently or they could have happened months apart. An incident of harassment could be a range of things, for example:.

Putting someone in fear of violence is when someone says or does two or more things that make you fear that violence will be used against you. The law states that a person is guilty of putting you in fear of violence if a reasonable person, who had the same information your abuser had, would think his behaviour would cause you to fear violence.

In an emergency you can contact the police for assistance by dialling or text phoning For other support and protection see Useful contacts at the end of this guide. If it is not an emergency then you can contact the police by going to your local police station, or calling your local police station by dialling It is a criminal offence for someone to harass you or to put you in fear of violence. If you experience any of these forms of abuse you can report it to the police.

If he is found guilty of an offence he can be sentenced to a term in prison or made to pay a fine or both. Sometimes if the police decide that they are not going take any further legal action against your abuser, they may give him an informal harassment warning. Harassment warnings are also known as harassment warning notices and police information notices PINs. This is a warning which tells your abuser about the law in relation to harassment, and that if there are similar reports in the future the police might take action against him.

Your abuser may be asked to sign the warning. This does not mean that he admits to harassing you, it just confirms that he has received the warning. However, if you do report his harassing behaviour to the police again in the future, then the notice can be used to show that he knew that his behaviour is harassment.

If the police charge your abuser and the case goes to the criminal courts then the court may make a restraining order to protect you. The criminal court can make the restraining order whether or not your abuser is convicted found guilty. A restraining order is a court order which prohibits your abuser from doing certain things such as contacting you or attending your place of work or home address. Breaching breaking a restraining order is a criminal offence.

The court will make the order if the judge thinks it is justified. Sometimes the Crown Prosecution Service CPS will ask the judge to make a restraining order but it will be up to the judge to decide. You cannot apply to the criminal courts for a restraining order yourself. If you want to make your own application to stop your abuser from doing something then you can apply for an injunction.

See Harassment injunctions below. If your abuser is someone who you are in an intimate relationship with or is a family member or ex-partner who you live with, they may be guilty of the criminal offence of coercive control. Someone is guilty of coercive control if they repeatedly or continuously engage in behaviour towards you that is coercive or controlling and they know or ought to know that the behaviour will have a serious effect on you.

If you are experiencing coercive control you can report this to the police. For more information please see our legal guide Coercive control and the law. Depending on your relationship with your abuser you can apply for an injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act or the Family Law Act These injunctions are easier to apply for, and there is no court fee for the application.

Legal aid is also available for this application. For more information see our legal guide Domestic violence injunctions. If you are not associated to your abuser, or if you do not want to apply for a non-molestation order, then you can apply for a harassment injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act You can apply for an injunction against any person who has harassed or stalked you or put you in fear of violence by deliberately causing you distress on two or more occasions.

This is different from restraining orders which can be made in the criminal courts. This is an injunction that you apply for yourself in the civil courts, such as a county court. Injunctions can prohibit someone from behaving in a certain way. The orders must be reasonable and relevant to the harassment you have experienced. You can make an application for an injunction in the county court or in the High Court, but the county court is usually more appropriate.

To apply for an injunction you will need to complete an application form N16A. You or your solicitor will also need to prepare an affidavit to support your application.

An affidavit is a statement which you swear sign in a specific way in the presence of a qualified lawyer or at court. The affidavit should give details of your relationship to your abuser, your circumstances, the history of the harassment and the events which led you to make the application. You should attach to your affidavit any evidence you have of the harassment and the impact it has had on you, for example:. You should also explain in your affidavit what you want the injunction to stop your abuser from doing.

You will need to give the Form N16A, your affidavit and supporting documents to the court and you will need to pay a fee. If you are applying for financial compensation also called damages from your abuser you should also give the court a completed Form N1 see Claiming compensation for harassment, below. These documents will also go to your abuser. If you want to keep your address confidential, do not include them on the application forms or the affidavit.

You can ask the court for permission to give your address to the court without showing it to your abuser, in a separate document from the rest of the court papers. You will have to attend at least one and possibly more court hearings. This means that the court can consider your application without your abuser knowing or being present.

The court will have to be persuaded that there are good reasons to make the order without him being there. You will need to explain your reasons in your affidavit. If you apply for and are granted an injunction without notice to your abuser then the court is likely to organise another hearing to give him an opportunity to explain his side of the story.

You will have to attend this hearing and you may have to give evidence answer questions in court. The court will consider all the evidence and decide whether the order should be continued or extended. You or your solicitor will be responsible for serving the documents on your abuser. This means giving your abuser a copy of the injunction, your affidavit and all of the documents that you submitted to the court. You can use a process server or the court bailiff to serve the documents on your abuser.

A process server is a person whose job it is to serve documents on people and they will charge a fee. If you cannot afford a process server, then you can ask someone else to serve the documents and that person will need to complete a certificate of service Form N and send it to the court.

You should not serve the documents yourself. Your abuser must know there is an injunction in place to be responsible for breaching any part of it. You are only protected once he is aware of the injunction. You should also send a copy of the injunction to your local police station. Legal aid is available for this application but you may experience difficulties finding a solicitor to take on your case. Contact our advice line or the Legal Aid Agency for help finding a solicitor.

You will need to pay a fee to make an application in the county court. If you cannot afford the application fee and you do not have legal aid then you can ask the court to waive the fee by completing a form EX If your application for an injunction or financial compensation is successful, the judge may order the defendant your abuser to pay your legal fees.

However, if your application is unsuccessful, the judge may order that you pay your own fees and also the legal costs of the defendant. You can use a solicitor or lawyer to assist you with your application for an injunction. If you cannot afford to pay for a lawyer you may be eligible for legal aid.

See Useful contacts for information on finding a solicitor. If your abuser breaches breaks the injunction you have two options. You can report the breach to the police and the police may arrest your abuser and pass the matter to the Crown Prosecution Service to be dealt with in the criminal court. Alternatively, you can make an application to return to the county court where the injunction was made to enforce it.

Enforcing the injunction means asking the court to take further action. If your abuser is found guilty of breaching the injunction then he may be sent to prison for up to 5 years or fined, or both. If you have been harassed or put in fear of violence, you may be able to claim financial compensation also called damages from your abuser, by making an application to the county court.

You can do this at the same time as applying for an injunction, or separately. Your application for compensation should be made on a Form N1. You can get a Form N1 from your local county court or from the Ministry of Justice website.

Retrieved 20 August Victims should be informed of applications to vary, and asked to express their views and to attend if necessary. You must record everything you remember about the incident. Paladin paladinservice. A Unison survey of almost 1, police staff in England, Wales and Scotland , found half had heard sexualised jokes and one in five had received a sexually explicit email or text from a colleague. Defence - Stalking - section 2A If the suspect is able to show that any of the defences to harassment under section 1 3 of the PHA are made out, he or she can not be guilty of stalking as without harassment there can be no conviction for stalking.

Police harassment uk

Police harassment uk. Accessibility controls


Taking action about harassment - Citizens Advice

Sign in below to resume an incident report or track the progress of your incident. You will only be able to track the progress of an incident if you reported it online.

Please note: You will only have an account if you have reported an incident online. If you cannot access your account you can reset your password here. In order to use this site please enable JavaScript in your web browser. If someone is making you feel distressed, humiliated or threatened then this could be harassment.

The person or people harassing you could be someone you know, a neighbour, someone from your local community or a complete stranger. Harassment cannot be a single incident. You must have experienced at least two incidents by the same person for it to be classed as a harassment. Find out more about our cookies Close. Sign in to your account. Report online. Track your case Report an incident Review reports.

About Us. How to contact us. Our Services. What's happening? Misconduct Hearings. Useful Links. Did you find the page you were looking for? Did you find the information useful? Rate this page 1 star poor — 5 stars excellent. Help us improve our site — tell us more about your visit. You do not have to select a card from every category. Alternatively skip to the general advice. No information is recorded unless you choose to report this to us.

I am being harassed. Someone I know is being harassed. You are concerned that a member of your family, a friend or a work colleague is being harassed.

There are witnesses. I don't think there are any witnesses. Your situation. I am under 16 and being harassed. This has happened more than once. I do not speak English very well.

English is not your first language and you may have difficulties discussing your concerns. I feel I've been targeted. If you feel that you have been targeted for a particular reason please make sure you tell us this. The person who did this. I know who is doing this. I don't have a name or description of the person, but I have other details.

You do not have any description or names of those involved, but do have details such as their address, their place of work, their number plate, online details etc. Someone I know has details about who did this. I don't know who did this. There is video footage or photos of the harassment. There may be CCTV, video or images of the incident or suspect or the harassment. There is evidence which could identify the person responsible.

There may be evidence such as bodily fluids, fingerprints, footprints or saliva. They left something behind. There are verbal or written comments. Someone involved said something, or wrote something online or sent emails or messages. You are unsure if there is evidence that can help with the investigation. This is affecting my mental or physical health. I'm worried I may be overreacting to the harassment. You are unsure about whether you should make a report to the police.

I'm worried about going to court. I used to be in a relationship with the suspect. You used to be in a relationship with the person harassing you and want to know if you should still report it. I know the suspect. You know the person harassing you and are unsure if this makes a difference to your report.

I have not been physically hurt or threatened during the harassment. I am considering confronting the person harassing me. You are unsure whether to tell friends, family or work colleagues what is happening.

Police harassment uk

Police harassment uk

Police harassment uk